Apart from intellectual abilities, personal attributes and leadership qualities, a candidate appearing for IAS / Civil Services Interview is expected to have good knowledge about happenings of national and global importance and awareness / concern for socio-economic issues.
Some of the topics of recent national & international importance; and socio-economic issues are:-
Current National issues
* CAA -
~ Analysis : What is CAA?; logic behind
~ constitutional position - whether CAA unconstitutional and against India’s secular ethos discriminatory on religious lines?
~ concerns & opposition arguments; Are protest are political or non-political?
~ Issue of powers of States / States Assemblies to oppose the CAA
~ CAA & North East / Assam
* NRC -
~ What is NRC? Issues and challenges!
~ Whether NRC will be unconstitutional and against India’s secular ethos discriminatory on religious lines?
~ Why was NRC updated for Assam?
~ nationwide NRC?
~ Is NRC related to CAA? government position about linking CAA to NRC?
* What is Citizenship Act 1955? subsequent amendments!
* India's refugee policy than offering citizenship?
* issue of illegal immigration to India?
* India needs to have a policy on stateless people?
* NPR -
~ What is NPR?; Objective; historical prospective -How did NPR start?
~ Need for a count of the residents-named as National Population Register in India-for security purposes and for delivering welfare schemes?
~ Need so many exercises-Census, NPR, Aadhar etc.?
~ Difference between earlier questionnaire and the proposed one
* Census -
~ historical prospective, objectives
~ issues and challenges
# CAA, NRC and NPA have emerged as the issues on political front
* Student's Agitations / Role of Police in agitations
> JNU, Jamia Islamia, Aligarh University etc.
* Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 / Article 370 / Article 35 - issues
~ implications - What changes with scrapping / amending of article of Article of 370
> Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir; citizenship, fundamental rights, working of legislature, state flag, geographical changes, ownership of property, application of Indian laws etc.
~ What's changed on the ground?
~ judicial review - pending in SC; constitutional validity
~ political agitation
~ issues related to foreign relations on this matter
~ Visit of foreign ambassadors
Topic of Economic Importance
@ India’s $5 trillion economy: target and challenges ahead
@ Economic slowdown?
- causes, structural issues etc.
- implications; concerns and challenges
- initiatives taken by government
@ GST -
- issues, concerns / problems
- A case for reduction of slabs / rates
- Is it a success story foe federalism?
@ Evaluate outcome of Demonetization
@ The Insolvency And Bankruptcy Amendment Bill, 2019
@ Economic Survey 2020
@ Budget 2020
** NPA / Banking Reforms
** Credit ratings 2019/ 2020 for India
** Ease of Doing Business 2019
** Global Income inequality Report
Recent Supreme Court Judgments
* Ayodhya Case
* SC /ST Act
* RTI Act supersedes the Official Secrets Act
* Constitutionality of IBC upheld
* Maradu flats demolition order
* Strikes Down Rules Framed By Centre Under Section 184 Finance Act 2017 For Tribunals; Aadhar-Money Bill question referred
* SC Upholds Disqualification Of 17 Karnataka MLAs
* SC Dismisses Rafale Review Petitions
* SC Strikes Down Section 87 Of Arbitration & Conciliation Act Inserted By 2019 Amendment
Recent important Ordinances / Bills /Acts
> The Mineral Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020
> The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019
> The Personal Data Protection Bill, 2019
> The Code on Social Security, 2019
> The Special Protection Group (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The International Financial Services Centres Authority Bill, 2019
> The Prohibition of Electronic Cigarettes Bill, 2019
> The Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Inter-State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Right to Information (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill, 2019
> The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019
>The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2019
> The National Investigation Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill, 2019
> The Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Act
Government Schemes / Policies / Organizations
^ Pradhan Mantri Kisan Pension Yojana
^ Jal shakti abhiyan
^ AMRUT Plan
^ Mega Pension Scheme
^ Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Mission
^ Solar Charkha Mission
^ National Nutrition Mission
^ Dhan Yojana
^ Transformation of Aspirational Districts Programme
^ Samagra Shiksha Scheme
^ Krishonnati Yojana
^ Atal Bhujal Yojana
^ Khelo India School Games
^ One Crore Loan in 59 minutes for MSMEs
^ Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
^ Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
^ HRIDAY – Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana
^ Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana
* Digital India;
* Stand up India;
* Make in India;
* Beti bachao beti padhao;
* Swatch Bharat;
* Pradhan Mantri Ujjawal Yojna;
* Niti Aayog;
* Smart City
* Start up India
* Affordable Housing
Social and Economic Issues
* Transparency in Governance
* An Honest and Responsive Government
* Right to Information - recent amendments / issues
* Corruption & Black Money
* Poverty - Human Development Index;
* Child Malnutrition; Hunger
* Gender Equality
* Political Freedoms
* Issue regarding Cow vigilantism
* Religious / Caste conflicts
* Women safety
* Education – Right to Education,
* Health - National Health Policy 2017
* The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
* National security;
* Surgical strikes;
^ Naxalite Problem – both security & social issues;
^ Law & Order
* Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
~ Recent Elections to State Assemblies;
~ ISRO latest projects - Chandrayaan, Gaganyaan
~ Recent Satellite Launches
~ Unrest in Campuses
Environment / Pollution Issues
^ Pollution Status in Country
^ Stubble burning
^ Climate Changes
^ El Nino
> Natural Disasters
> Recent floods
> Bio Diversity
Foreign Policy Issues
* Neighbourhood First
* International partnerships to promote India’s domestic development.
* Stable and multipolar balance of power in the Indo-Pacific; “Act East.”
* Advancing Indian representation and leadership on matters of global governance
* International Organizations / Issues
# Issues on India’s foreign relations with
^ Kartarpur Passage
^ Wuhan Summit
~ Other neighbouring countries
^ Indo Pacific Strategy
^ G 4
^ G 20
** WTO - Protectionism; Crisis of Legitimacy
* European Union / Brexit
*UN & UN related organizations
# Above topics / issues are illustrative only.
@ Read 2-3 Newspapers regularly to know the latest knowledge / awareness
about current affairs.Topic of Economic Importance
Interview of I.Fo.S - More focus on Environment, Climate Change, Biodiversity, Forests, Mitigation Strategies, Climate Change Organisations etc.